Sunday, June 25, 2006

"We're on a mission from God."

As many of you know, I've been trying to gradually catch up on movies I should have already seen. The quote above comes from The Blues Brothers, which has possibly the most intimidating credits I've ever seen. (I'm not 100% sure it's #1, but it's at least damned close to it.) I had recognized a couple of the singers (like Ray Charles) during the movie, but I had assumed in other cases that it was just the relevant actor lip-synching to the song. However, when I saw the credits, it realized that it was invariably the actual singer of the song ("Minnie the Moocher" by Cab Calloway, etc.) who was in the movie.

The movie was awesome! This is Dan Akroyd at his deadpan finest. (The quote above is uttered several times by Dan Akroyd in absolutely perfect deadpan.) John Belushi was also in this movie. I don't believe I had ever seen a movie with him before, although I had heard from him because of his very well-publicized early 80s death. (Actually, I remember the newscasters harping on it back then.)

Also, the 'mystery woman' (played by Carrie Fisher!) provided some amusing interludes, especially when Akroyd and Belushi would carry on with whatever they were doing after one of her stunts (like blowing up Akroyd's apartment) as if it had never happened or was a usual part of day-to-day life. It was awe-inspiring.

I was also able to brace myself for The Ride, so I got through that scene unscathed.

By the way, does anybody have any plain white toast?

6 comments:

Lemming said...

No, but there are a few decks of plain white cards lying around, and AG likes (or liked) plain white bagels.

Anonymous said...

"no ma'am, we're musicians."

--is another favorite of mine from that flick.

--Maria, who just saw Ghostbusters (best movie EVER!!!!) again last night for the first time in 8 years... love the Aykroyd.

Mason said...

I haven't seen Ghostbusters for many years, although I very much appreciated the Stay Puffed reference in Shrek 2. (My friend and I saw the shadow and immediately went "Stay Puffed!" but all the kids populated the theatre sadly did not realize this part of the movie was a reference. What are we doing to our kids? Where is the cultural education?)

Lemming said...

Wow, I never realized he was also on the writing credits for Ghostbusters, that's pretty cool.

Mason said...

Akroyd is a great talent, and it's unfortunate that he doesn't get the appreciation that he used to.

I would love to see a new movie with Akroyd + Bill Murray both having starring roles. That would rock!


Here is one of many wonderful quotes from the movie (courtesy IMDB):

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.

Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.



Hmmmm.... anybody want to see this again soon? And the vintage glow-in-the-dark "I've been slimed!" shirt (which I proudly own) is awesome!

Anonymous said...

You can come over to watch Ghostbusters anytime. just a quick 5-hour commute (not counting ground transportation, security lines and luggage check) and a mere $350 RT flight.

simple! See you tonight?

"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!"