Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Tuesday Hornetblogging

Tuesday Hornetblogging: An idea whose time has come!

Gazebo hasn't done any catblogging for a while, so I'm here to fill the gap with some hornetblogging. I don't know if this is a one-time deal or if anything will justify future editions of this feature, but (in any event) this is the first of at least one blog entry on the topic.

If you want some pictures of hornets, google pictures provides quite a few of them. However, I feel compelled to highlight one particular hornet in this inaugural entry: Georgia Tech's mascot, Buzz.

Some of you may recall one of my earliest blog entries which has remained one of my most popular entries of all time. Titled simply Angry Hornets, it set the stage for a lot of great things to come. (OK, OK. It set the stage for a lot of things to come.)

It's fall at Caltech, so you know what that means: hornet season. I saw them sporadically during the summer, but things weren't so bad until recently. But then school starts and the glomming begins. This even happened when I went to my conference in Seattle, but I'm guessing they were just trying to make me feel at home.

Anyway, because it's glomming season, things have really been picking up lately. For example, yesterday I had lunch with a prospective student, and he was suitably impressed by my mad hornet-attracting skillz. (I need to change the sign of this potential...) The hornets were even more into me today, and I was having a great deal of difficulty eating my food.

During today's trials, Lemming told me an amusing story that just about sums it up. He and Cat were having lunch while I had a prior commitment (either Monday, or on Friday during the Tech staff meeting) and they mentioned me briefly during their conversation. A couple hornets immediately flew to their table, reconnoitered for a minute or two to see if I was around (I told you it was glomming...), and left.

I don't know if any hornetblogging will happen while in England, but to steal (I mean borrow) a very nice pun from Lemming, I think some WASPblogging is extremely realistic.

No comments: