Tuesday, November 07, 2006

New laptop...

(Attempt 2 on this post... Safari crashed on me in the middle of the last post and also crashed earlier today. Damnit.)

I just bought a specific new laptop today!

You know what that means? It's time to come up with a harddrive name! Any ideas?

The early lead is "Vecna" because my backup harddrive is already named "Phylactery." I think that's a decent choice, but I'd like to do better. Admittedly, it is better than my current one, called "Death From Above." Previous ones have included "Duende," "Phlegethon" (which I ironically forgot for a few minutes! If you don't see why it's ironic, look up Phlegethon right now), "Valykrie," and "Forgotten Realm." (I think that covers all the laptop harddrives. A couple of times, I had to replace harddrives that died, so I renamed things when that happened. I think "Duende" is the one that only lasted a few months [so the replacement was free], which is also kind of funny.) My current iPod is called "Chotchke" and my original one (which I still have, but the maximum battery life has decayed quite a bit) is called "Hoopak."

Anyway, let me know your ideas for harddrive names.


Here are the specs for my new preciousssssss:

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.33GHz
2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Accessory Kit


I also bought AppleCare and a power adaptor for airplanes.

Does anybody know if Civ IV is out for the Mac? I need to get that asap...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Necronomicon or Necrotelecomnicon (or Liber Paginarum Fulvarum, if you prefer that phrasing) come to mind.

Manual of Gainful Exercise is great for the irony...

Going to the "place where great work is done" interpretation of hard drive instead of the "repository of knowledge" interpretation, there's:

Thangorodrim
Utumno
Eregion
Formenos

Back to the "item of power" interpretation you started with:

Nauglamir
any of the Elven rings (I like Nenya)
Ringil
Grond
Gurthang (or Anglachel, or Mormegil, take your pick)
palantir
Disk of Many Things (OK, I tweaked two letters...)
Sphere of Annihilation

Personally, I use the "useful assistant" interpretation, so my home computer is Belisarius and my laptop is Narses. For you, perhaps Igor? I can't think of anything in particular that ties to "Mason" or "Porter", so generic mad science will have to do for now. :-D

Mason said...

I'll go through the rest of your suggestions later (because I need to get to a meeting right now), but when I saw "disk of many things," I thought you were writing another post on females in D & D campaigns. (Really, I briefly thought this was for the other thread.)

I'll get my mind out of the gutter now.

Mason said...

I unfortunately don't know most of the references you mention.

I'm not so fond of using "Igor" for this.

I do like "Manual of Gainful Exercise" quite a bit, except it's really long for a harddrive title. Still, it's a very interesting direction.

Anonymous said...

I was on a Tolkien kick at the time. Probably because it's your preciousssss. :-)

Death From Above is pretty long too...

There's something to be said for your Vecna idea, too. If you use an external mouse, that would be the Mouse of Vecna. Videoconferencing would use the Eye of Vecna.

Zathras would be a fun alternative to Igor, if you're a Babylon 5 fan.

Or celebrate the timing of your new laptop by naming her Speaker Pelosi.

I should sleep now...

Mason said...

Pelosi can be scary, so I'm not naming my laptop after her.

I think this computer actually has a built-in camera. The Vecna "local meme" would work.

"Death from Above" is a little long but not close to as long as "Manual of Gainful Excercise." It also evokes pleasant memories of firing red shells in a certain battle level in the N64 Mario Kart.

Anonymous said...

Continuing on the "Death from Above" theme, how about "Vertical Takedown"? :) But you've probably not played that game much, but it's what your first name reminded me of.

-Z

Mason said...

It's certainly the right theme, though you're right it's not familiar to me (and I'd prefer something that has more meaning for me).

I could call it "Switzerland" in the hopes that it is never attacked (and doesn't attack anything). By the way, I laughed uproariously the first time I saw somebody get "Switzerland" in Smash Bros.