Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Who should make the baseball Hall of Fame in 2007?

The announcement of Major League Baseball's new Hall-of-Famers will occer on January 9th. You can go to this page to see which players are on the ballot.

I went through this in a bunch of detail last year (not including new people on the ballot, of course), so I'll be shorter about it this year.

Thus, without going into a ton of detail, here's what I think at the moment. As always, my opinions are subject to change without notice. :) In particular, I'm not going to look up what I wrote last year about borderline cases. For the purposes of what I am writing, 'borderline' cases includes things like 'probably' and 'probably not'.

Definitely deserves to make it: Bert Blyleven (who should have been elected years ago!), Tony Gwynn (duh), Tommy John (who also keeps getting gypped), Mark McGwire (I'm sick of the witch hunt ... whatever he did -- and I'm sure he did it -- it was legal in baseball at the time and everybody turned their heads on this; plus, he basically had the misfortune of being subpoenaed; lots of players and former players were simultaneously thinking 'I'm glad I'm not the one there'), Cal Ripken (duh)

Borderline cases: Harold Baines (no), Albert Belle (no, though if his career lasted a little longer than it would be different), Jose Canseco (no, though his career numbers are a lot better than most people think), Andre Dawson (no, though I'm often tempted to vote 'yes'), Steve Garvey (no), Rich Gossage (yes), Orel Hershiser (no if I vote with my mind, but yes with my heart), Don Mattingly (no, but the first baseman from before stats exploded are going to be getting more votes now), Jack Morris (no; check out the ERA -- I believe his would become the highest in the Hall by a large margin), Dale Murphy (no), Dave Parker (no, but I'm tempted to vote 'yes'), Jime Rice (yes), Lee Smith (no), Alan Trammell (yes; and when will he get the respect he deserves?)

Better buy a ticket if you want to get in: Dante Bichette, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner (no matter what Cosmo Kramer says), Ken Caminiti, Dave Concepcion, Eric Davis (if it weren't for all the injuries...), Tony Fernandez, Wally Joyner, Paul O'Neill, Bret Saberhagen, Devon White, Bobby Witt


This year's Gary DiSarcina Memorial Worst-Player-on-the-Ballot Award goes to Scott Brosius, with honorable mention to Bobby Witt (the worst pitcher on the ballot).

No comments: