Wednesday, January 03, 2007

What happens in New Orleans stays in New Orleans

To start, truer words than the title of this entry have rarely been written.

Tomorrow, I fly to New Orleans to attend the 2007 Joint Mathematics Meetings, which is the mathematics version of the APS March Meeting (though it's not quite as large).

I will be presenting three talks: one on Bose-Einstein condensates, one on billiard systems with mixed dynamics (with a focus on mushroom billiards), and one on Congressional networks. (I will try really hard to not make jokes on certain topics when I give my Congress talk.)

As usual, there are a ton of people I know who will be attending the meeting, so while things will be hectic, it will also be a lot of fun. I found out earlier today that one of my SURF students for summer 2007 will also be attending the meeting, and she has promised to ask me tough questions during my talks.

After the conference, I will be visiting Louisiana Tech University for a couple days. I'll give a talk about networks while I'm there and meet some of the mathematicians there. My flight back home should arrive on Thursday evening, so the first day I'll be able to hang out again once I return will be Friday 1/12.

By the way, you shouldn't worry about me. If anything goes wrong, I'll just sit tight and wait for FEMA to arrive.

No comments: