Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Surprising new knowledge

I just learned that the preferred US pronunciation of 'primer' (when referring to teaching material; not the kind of primer used in biochemistry) ryhmes with dimmer. (The 'primer' from biochemistry has a preferred pronunciation that rhymes with dimer.) However, pronouncing it the way I've always pronounced it -- as if it rhymes with dimer -- is correct (though not preferred, as I mentioned), so I'll continue doing it that way. And maybe that will help me fit in just a bit, because the secondary pronunciation is apparently the primary one in Britain.

I really ought to crash. I'm getting up at 7am tomorrow and still have some work e-mails and baseball articles I want to deal with first.

I'll blog more about the conference later. We'll see what I remember to write about.

2 comments:

Lemming said...

I share in your pronunciation, your knowledge of the "correct" version, and your stubbornness. Yay.

Mason said...

Lemming, this just goes to show that we were made for each other. Scary.