Monday, June 18, 2007

Translation of 'fudge factor'

I found out today that the Hebrew word for 'fudge factor' is 'fudge factor'. My officemate Israel Klich says it's not a standard term, but he and two others in the condensed matter group were using it in the office today.

In a discussion with Israel and Lemming, I was telling a story about the term 'morally equivalent' and wondering what the symbol for that particular equivalence relation might be.

Oh, and I finally submitted my legislation cosponsorship paper to Nature today. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Lemming said...

One suggestion was to use an equals sign with one's religious symbol of chose above, but it was pointed out by Israel that this symbol has an even better interpretation: "It is taken as a matter of faith that these two are equivalent."

Mason said...

Oooh, the first comment on my blog in a loooooooooong time. (OK, I know people read at least certain posts the intervening time because of offline discussions.)

For this equivalence relation, we might just have to borrow something from group theory.

FYI: For those who don't know this, Israel is from Israel.