Saturday, August 04, 2007

Friday Poetry

So, I'm not sure if I'll make this a regular feature (and it's technically early Saturday morning as I write this), but in these times of crisis and universal brouhaha, I feel it is appropriate to include the text of the poem that currently fits my mood.

The poem in question is "Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost:


Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.



'But what is the subtext?', I hear your cry. It's simple: I don't know how the poem was originally intended, but I am thinking more along the lines of how people act when they are very angry. As I think all of you know, my usual mode in such matters is ice. And I think the analogy between nasty arguments and fire versus ice is quite an apt one.

I hope to post a happier poem next Friday, but we'll see what kind of mood I'm in and also how well I can keep my game face up.

Update (8/6/07): My mood was very dark during this post, and I wrote this entry about two hours after I reacted rashly (and harshly) because I couldn't control my anger. So, in accordance to my attempts to change certain things, when I am in that kind of mode, I should stick to posting poems that reflect the mood and most definitely make sure I calm down before I respond to e-mails (or other media) in which feelings are involved. This post reflects the fact that part of me understood what was going on in my mind, and yet I still didn't possess the self-control to stop myself. This needs to change. In the future, I will vent those feelings out only in an entry like this (with a poem or whatnot) and not towards other people.

No comments: