Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008 Inductees in Rock & Roll Hame of Fame

All this time spent playing Rock Band over the past couple of weeks reminded me to go and check the identities of the 2008 inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

They are Leonard Cohen (who everybody knows), The Dave Clark Five, Madonna, John Mellencamp, and The Ventures.

Of these new members, Madonna (who is obviously a very worthy selection) is the one who is definitely part of my paradigm. Of course, most of the songs of hers that I really like are her older pieces. All of this said, she's a complete tool, as we found out at Coachella a couple of years ago (or, at the very least, that removed any doubt there might have been). In terms of talent and musical achievement, however, she's certainly top notch.

Leonard Cohen has always received high critical praise, though I only really know him for recording the definitive version of "Everbody Knows".

I like a couple of John Mellencamp's songs a lot, but I'm not overly familiar with how much critical praise he's gotten---presumably quite a bit given his 2008 induction.

I have heard of The Dave Clark Five and The Ventures, though I can't remember any of their songs at the moment.


Eventually, I hope that Depeche Mode will get their rightful place in the Rock & Roll Hall. I know they've gotten at least some consideration in the past, so I suspect it will happen eventually. (I also suspect that they may have to wait in line for several performers who are likely ahead of them in the queue.)

In the near future, I'll post a blog entry on rock band---ideally with a picture of the guitarist I created, although it seems like it takes more trouble than it should to actually do this.

No comments: