Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dodgers acquire Manny Ramirez

Today the Dodgers traded for Manny Ramirez. Ramirez is a sure-fire first-ballot Hall-of-Famer. Here are his career stats. I think the trade is a good attempt to win things this year, though I think I would prefer not picking up his $20 million yearly option for 2009 (and also not to pick up the 2010 option at the same price, of course). I was just telling one of my friends at dinner that I doubted Manny would be traded because there had been constant rumors involving him for several years and he was still with the Red Sox after all this time. Oops. I missed that one completely. The Sox are paying Manny's salary for this year, which is great! (It also means that Andruw Jones will hardly be playing at all, and I hope that I can say the same thing for Juan Pierre.) We lost two minor leaguers: third baseman Andy Laroche (who it was clear we were never going to give a chance to play) and pitcher Bryan Morris (about whom I know nothing) went to Pittsburgh. (Our minor league system is absolutely stocked right now, so this doesn't bother me at all.) The Pirates also got outfielder Brandon Moss and pitcher Craig Hansen from the Red Sox and gave up Jason Bay to the Sox. (I would rather have gotten Bay than Manny, but overall I am happy with this trade---though again I really hope we let Manny walk as a free agent after the year is over.)

Let's see if we can go anywhere with this. Certainly this is better than the Juan Pierre and Andruw Jones free agent signings.

Note: The Angels did much better in getting Texeira. If they can sign him to an extension, then they'll have one of the best young players in the game locked up for several years.

2 comments:

Zifnab said...

As reported on mlb.com and elsewhere, one of the conditions for Manny waiving his trade veto right was that both options be declined. So I don't think you have much to worry about in that regard. :)

Mason said...

Ah, that is excellent news!

The particular article that I read at the time hadn't yet reported that. (It was still discussing what the various options were.)