Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Tales from the arXiv: strong (and likely false) claim edition

One of my students (Mariano Beguerisse Diaz) just sent me a link to the following paper, which was recently posted on the arxiv:

A proof of the Riemann hypothesis

Xian-Jin Li

(Submitted on 1 Jul 2008 (v1), last revised 2 Jul 2008 (this version, v2))

By using Fourier analysis on number fields, we prove in this paper E. Bombieri's refinement of A. Weil's positivity condition, which implies the Riemann hypothesis for the Riemann zeta function in the spirit of A. Connes' approach to the Riemann hypothesis.


If this paper actually does what it claims to do, then this is obviously quite a big deal. This is ridiculously far from my area, but I'll take the safe attitude of being skeptical of the author's claims unless acknowledged experts on the topic come to a consensus that this paper accomplishes the trick. I did some googling to try to find reactions, but it came up empty (though I did find articles about a 2004 attempt). The wikipedia article to which I link above has a small section that briefly discusses false claims of a successful proof.

Anyway, it will be very exciting news if this new claim turns out to be well-founded, but I'm not about to start holding my breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may have seen this already, but http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/04/1552248&from=rss

- Kris K

Mason said...

Thanks for passing this along! Mariano also e-mailed to mention Terry Tao had found an error. Terry's really good at doing things like that (and at a lot of other things). :)

Also, by looking at the link I found out that Alain Connes has a blog. He and Terry may be much more famous than I am, but I bet that I'm much snarkier!

This also makes me wonder who among prominent mathematicians and physicists have blogs. (I'm not counting people who became well-known or better-known because of blogs, but rather people who are well-known for their science.) I'm afraid that neither Travis nor I count. (All of my legendary moments in public situations have been mostly attitude- and behavior-related anyway. They were all pretty much unintentional as well---basically a combination of personality and cirumstance.)