Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"Mathematician" named top job in a America

I just found out from an AMS press release that "mathematician" is the top job in the United States according to the Wall Street Journal.

That's what I've been saying all along. I told you so!


Here are the best and worst jobs according to the article:


The Best
1. Mathematician
2. Actuary
3. Statistician
4. Biologist
5. Software Engineer
6. Computer Systems Analyst
7. Historian
8. Sociologist
9. Industrial Designer
10. Accountant


The Worst
200. Lumberjack
199. Dairy Farmer
198. Taxi Driver
197. Seaman
196. EMT
195. Garbage Collector
194. Welder
193. Roustabout
192. Ironworker
191. Construction Worker



The article showed the top 20 and bottom 20 jobs. Most of the top jobs are typically quite academic in flavor, although I was amused by the fact that physicist (13th) ranked just above parole officer (14th). I approve!

2 comments:

Lemming said...

Even better for me, as it seems to suggest that I have, in fact, been promoted. w00t.

Anonymous said...

Pretty bogus. Sociologists face an even worse job market than astronomers, and make less money. I'm not seeing how they can be the 8th best job...

And the Worst should end with Junior Assistant Crack Whore (can't remember if that was an SNL skit, or very early Daily Show...).