Sunday, March 15, 2009

What happens in the Research Triangle stays in the Research triangle

I am now in the airport at San Diego, waiting for my red-eye flight to New Jersey, which will then go to Raleigh-Durham. I will be visiting my collaborator Peter Mucha at UNC, though I will also be stopping off at Duke on Tuesday (to give a math/physics seminar) and Wednesday (to give a social networks seminar, although that's more of an informal group meeting type deal). In fact, I will also be visiting a friend's lab at NC State on Saturday morning before she drops me off at the airport. I also have plans to see one friend from grad school who is now a postdoc at Duke as well as two friends from Caltech. Additionally, my collaborator JP Onnela will be flying down on Thursday for a bit of a synchronized visit and some additional work. It's definitely going to be both a fun and productive week.

Peter Mucha and I have numerous joint projects, though the one on which we'll probably spend the most time are our series of projects on Facebook networks. The American Physical Society press conference (held at the March Meeting) about our Facebook work is tomorrow morning (I think at 11am), and there will also be an APS press release (which I assume will come out tomorrow). They highlighted our student Mandi Traud's Tuesday talk at the conference, and she will be the one doing the press conference. We also have a poster in the GSNP Gallery at the meeting, and hopefully we'll have one of the winning entries. Stay tuned for more information about the media blitz...

5 comments:

GFreak said...

Do you know where you'll be here on campus? I don't get updates on seminars outside of Engineering...

GFreak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GFreak said...

FYI, the only links I see (after a search of the Duke website) are for an "Adventures in Theory" seminar titled "Communities in Networks" scheduled for Tuesday 4:30pm in the Physics Bldg...

Mason said...

That's indeed my seminar. I have meetings all day before then and dinner scheduled for afterwards, but do you want to drop by so we can brainstorm on what might work?

I will try to think about my schedule again later tonight, but I had a red eye last night (so I haven't slept in over 30 hours) and I have several things to do tonight before I can crash.

There is also an issue with the APS royally screwing up a press release and trying to do damage control before it really becomes a disaster.

GFreak said...

I'll try to swing past your seminar for a minute. I'll almost certainly still be here at that time tomorrow, I'm really on final burn mode.