Tuesday, March 31, 2009

RIP Caltech Bookstore (Unknown--2009)

The economy has apparently claimed another victim.

I heard today from a friend that the Caltech bookstore will be defunct as of May 1st. I wonder what plans Caltech has for textbooks and ordinary supplies that it's especially convenient to buy on campus? My best guess is that simple supplies will be available at Caltech's convenience store, but I'm less clear about the textbooks. Maybe the nearby Borders will carry them?

On a more selfish note, how will people buy my book?

Anyway, the closing of Caltech's bookstore makes me a little sad.

4 comments:

Justin said...

My understanding is that most people have bought their textbooks from Amazon for years now anyway.

Jon said...

now they can finally convert the 'student center' into lab space or possibly more parking.

Also, you should try to get the alumni association to pimp your book. maybe with a lifetime membership your book is included? and you should see if the Student Affairs would include a card in mailings to parents about 'ways to understand Caltech's unique culture and history' specifically listing the Legends series as primary source documents from the people who were there kind of thing.

Parents and alumni are pretty much your key demographics, I think.

jvk said...

The plan is that the convenience store will merge with the bookstore. The revamped store will carry some Caltech paraphernalia and will still have the books by Caltech authors. I am sure this includes your book (it is currently in the shelf with Caltech authors). I don't know anything about text books. The monographs etc. are now being sold off at discount prices.

Mason said...

I have gotten confirmation from the bookstore (via the Alumni Association director) this morning regarding Caltech authors and books by Caltech, and that matches what JVK writes. They have, in particular, confirmed that this includes the Legends books. (In fact, the second book in the series is about to go through another printing.)

I do very much like Jon's idea about the cards in mailings---not for advertising the books but rather just for conveying that information. That's really something that should be done.