Thursday, August 13, 2009

Gentlemen, I think we have a loose cannon.

I'm trying to minimize how much I discuss PEDs in this spot (because, frankly, I am sick of it and I would not be surprised to find out about possible use by anybody in professional baseball---there are just more interesting things to discuss), but on occasion I make an exception. It seems like Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo is showing a mixture of refreshing honesty and some opinions that I find a bit perturbing. I respect the fact that he's speaking his mind---though I think he's going to ultimately get himself derailed if he keeps at it (he's being 'honest to a fault', which also happens to be one of my specialties)---but I really don't like the attitude he's showing. It seems to me that part of what he's saying is that he believes that using the stuff is ok as long as one doesn't get caught. OK, so he's far from the only person who believes that and is distinguishing himself mostly by openly admitting it (and also showing a rather familiar cynicism about what other people think), but to me it's patently obvious that issues about getting caught are not the only problem here.

Anyway, we'll see how this plays out.

No comments: