Friday, July 09, 2010

Update on Paul the Octopus

Paul the Octopus (yes, he has a wikipedia entry, and a rather thorough one at that) continues to do well, having correctly predicted the outcomes of all of Germany's 2010 World Cup games thus far. It's silly, but the whole thing is awesome (and also "awesome"). Paul is now apparently even getting death threats and has also joined the 'Downfall of Hitler' meme. I love how Paul's wikipedia entry lists his occupation as "oracle".

In other news, I actually almost bought a stuffed octopus today. I'll figure out what souvenir to get later.

Here is my other blog entry about Paul. I first found out about him almost 13 days ago when I saw a blurb on CNN Saturday night after my garden party. (I delayed a bit before actually posting the blog entry because the whole thing gradually started amusing me more.) The article that I first noticed was this one (about Paul's prediction of Germany over England), and at the time I immediately sent it to a friend of mine who is German and was planning to watch the game the next day with her English boyfriend.

2 comments:

GFreak said...

I just like that an alternate "appellation" is "Paul der Krake".

Mason said...

Yeah, that is pretty awesome. I think in general the Germans have some nicely descriptive words for certain things.