Thursday, July 29, 2010

Website Legacy

Many years ago, when I was a postdoc in Georgia Tech's math department, I kept track of the talks in the seminar series that I was organizing on an excruciating simple website. I did this because the math department didn't have a good central site for seminars at the time.

During my postdoc, a person who was organizing our PDE seminar asked me for my .html code, which I gladly sent. Many years later, this code is still being used. The original person didn't think to delete the Sitemeter tick at the bottom that incremented the count for visits to my websites. And, many years later, that still remains as well.

However, I am significantly prouder of the legacy on this page, which is the graduate student seminar series that I started at Cornell in Fall 2000. Now it's 10 years later, and my seminar is still running. And the text on the website that describes the series is almost exactly the text that I wrote originally.

(In case you're interested, I wrote an opinion piece about it that appeared in 2002 in the Notices of the AMS.)

No comments: