Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tenure

I received a letter today telling me that I now officially have the Oxford version of tenure. It's known as "reappointment to retirement age" and is in fact rather different from the US version of tenure. In particular, the bar is much lower than is the case for tenure in the US, and it's pretty much a box-ticking exercise. (In Oxonian language, I am no longer in my "probationary" period.) Now hopefully I will be a full professor soon. I'll let you know when that happens.

4 comments:

Clarissa said...

Wow, this is huge! Congratulations. This totally rocks. I hope you will have a really huge celebration. :-)

Mason said...

Thanks!

No huge celebration---this step really is box-ticking over here (though still nice for things to go without a hitch).

I had dinner and games with a friend who is leaving for good soon.

I will have a huge celebration when I become a full professor. :)

GFreak said...

Congratulations, Mason!!
None of us had any doubt, but it's still pretty huge!

Mason said...

Well, the bar in the Oxford system is lower than in the US system. To make up for it, promotion ("Recognition of Distinction") is harder.