Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Life Imitates Spaceballs

I'm not sure how I missed this, but apparently the Syrian president, whose (office's) e-mail account was hacked, used the same combination I have on my luggage.

I thought this story was fake, but quick googling suggests that it's actually true. (Maybe deeper googling will revealing that it isn't? Please let me know if that ends up being the case.) It's amazing that I didn't catch this for 2 full weeks.

(Tip of the cap to the Demotivational Poster blog.)

2 comments:

Zifnab said...

In related work, "1234" is the most common 4-digit PIN number used. See http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~jcb82/doc/BPA12-FC-banking_pin_security.pdf for a very interesting paper on the topic (via Schneier on Security).

Mason said...

I only looked through the article briefly, but there are some really interesting tidbits in it (e.g., the 'affinity for the number 69'). I'm disturbed that "1234" is the most common 4-digit PIN employed.