Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Famous Last Words: Circa 2006

I wrote the following comment on Arcane Gazebo's blog at 1:13 am on 29 August 2006:

"I’ve been meaning to join Facebook for a while — if for no other reason I have their data and it’s probably relevant to my analysis to actually try the site. I’ll drop you a line when I get around to joining. (Facebook gets more traffic than google, by the way. Or it did as of some time in 2005. I assume it still does.)

I am in MySpace, Orkut, and LinkedIn, but I don’t use any of them. I’ll log in when somebody requests me as a friend, but basically don’t use it. I get lots of friend-request spam from Orkut. I need to log in to change the preferences to not e-mail me when I get a new friend request.

Do you actually end up doing any social networking through these sites? (I can see their use as gloried phonebooks, but I’m curious if you use them for more than that.)

I was also thinking Facebook might be particularly useful for web-stalking. :)"



Famous last words --- uttered 2 days before I joined Facebook.

(By the way, my LinkedIn use is the same as it was then. I haven't logged into Orkut in years, and I think I logged into MySpace once or twice in the last few years because I was curious what the site looked like these days --- or maybe just for shits and giggles.)

No comments: